1) Ordering a driving licence online
You can order a new driving licence to replace a lost, damaged, or stolen one via Traficom's electronic customer service. (External link)
You can also use the service to order a new driving licence if the police has revised your driving rights, if your name or address details have changed, or if you want to replace your old driving licence with an EU licence, which is the size of a credit card.
You can only use the service if you have supplied a recent photograph and a sample of your signature to an official register in an electronic format. You also need to have your permanent address in mainland Finland (you cannot use the service if you live in the Åland Islands), and your address details must be up to date in the Population Information System.
For example, if you have changed your name, you should first apply for a new passport or an ID card from the police. Once your passport application has been approved, you can order a new driving licence from Traficom electronically.
Your new driving licence will be sent to you by post.
2) Ordering a driving licence from Ajovarma
You can also order a new driving licence at Ajovarma service point (External link). Applying for a new driving licence take with you
- 2 photographs (External link) (you will not need new photos if you have supplied photos for a driver card, professional competence card, or a driving, taxi or ADR licence in or after 2013 or you have been issued with a Finnish ID card or passport in the past five years);
- Please note: Photographic studios cannot send passport photos to Traficom electronically. You cannot use the photo code you received from the photographer when applying for a driving licence. Traficom can use digital passport photos submitted to the police only after they have been used for a passport or an identity card.
- your old licence, if you still have it.
Your new driving licence will be sent to you by post. You also need to have your permanent residence in mainland Finland and your address details up to date in the Population Information System to order a duplicate driving licence from Ajovarma.
If you want to downgrade your driving licence category or if you are applying for a change to the special conditions of your licence, you must submit your application for a new driving licence via an Ajovarma customer service point.
The most common special conditions relate to the use of glasses while driving, automatic gears, and professional competence certification.
All licences issued before 19 January 2013 are valid until 18 January 2033 at the latest, even if they show a later expiry date.
When renewing a driving licence issued before 19 January 2013 due to a name change, a change to special conditions, a lost licence, or to lower the driving licence category, for example, the new driving licence will show 18 January 2033 as the expiry date.
Licences who will reach the age of 70 before 18 January 2033 are an exception. In these cases, the driving licence will expire on the licence holder's 70th birthday.