Traficom can issue a driving licence permit for you if
- you fulfil the age and health requirements set for the relevant driving licence category
- you are permanently living in Finland or you study in Finland and have continued your studies for at least 6 months, and
- you are not banned from driving or under a temporary driving ban in Finland or some other EU or EAA country.
Driving licence permits may be granted at the earliest one year before the applicant has fulfilled the age requirement corresponding to the driving licence category. However, category B licence permits may be granted at the earliest two years before the fulfilment of the age requirement.
Starting on 1 July 2018, the driving licence permit is valid for 3 years. When you come to the theoretical, handling and driving test, the driving licence permit must be valid for the category concerned.
You must also apply for a driving licence permit if
There are two ways to apply for a driving licence permit:
- You may apply for a driving licence using Traficom’s e-Service (External link), provided that you meet the requirements for using the service. A driving licence permit is applied for, depending on the situation, in the First driving licence, Upgrading a driving licence or Renew your driving licence service.”
- Book an appointment for filling in and submitting an application form at Traficom’s service provider Ajovarma’s office (External link). You can obtain an application from Ajovarma.
Attachments to the driving licence permit
- Your current driving licence. If you have not previously been granted a driving licence, take along your passport or photo ID to verify your identity.
- 2 passport photographs. However, if you have a valid Finnish passport or identity card, you do not need new passport pictures for a driving licence. You also do not need the pictures if you have sent photographs for a driving licence, professional driving licence or a professional qualification licence, or an ADR driving permit or a taxi driver’s driving permit on 1 January 2013 or later. For the requirements for the photo, see the passport photograph instructions of the police. (External link)
Please note: Photographic studios cannot send passport photos to Traficom electronically. You cannot use the photo code you received from the photographer when applying for a driving licence. Traficom can use digital passport photos submitted to the police only after they have been used for a passport or an identity card.
- A medical certificate. However, the following exceptions must be taken into account:
- When applying for a driving licence permit for your first Group 1 driving licence (AM/120, AM/121, T, A1, A2, A, B and BE), you may, if you wish, provide an assurance that you meet the health requirements for driving . In this case, no separate medical certificate needs to be attached to the application.
- If you have a valid driving licence and want to upgrade your right to drive within Group 1 (AM/120, AM/121, T, A1, A2, A, B and/or BE) or Group 2 (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and/or DE), you do not need a medical certificate.
- If you have a Group 2 driving licence and are younger than 44.5 years of age, you do not need a medical certificate when renewing your licence.
- If you have a Group 1 driving licence and renew your licence by no later than your 70th birthday, you do not need a medical certificate.
- Based on a driving examination taken in the defence forces, you may apply for an upgrade in your right to drive with a driving licence permit without qualification requirements. You must attach an examination certificate by the defence forces to your application for a driving licence permit. The certificate must have been issued within the previous 3 years. In this case, you do not need to attach a separate medical certificate to the application.
- When upgrading motorcycle categories in driving instruction, you must present a certificate of instruction when applying for the driving licence permit.
NB! The medical certificate must be included on form F122 (medical certificate on driving capacity). Statements provided on any other medical certificate form will not be accepted when applying for a driving licence permit. Physicians keep form F122 (medical certificate on driving capacity) on hand.The medical certificate on your fitness to drive is valid for 6 months Ensure that your physician provides you with the correct form (External link) (in Finnish).
If you hold a Group 1 driving licence and would like to apply for a driving licence permit for a Group 2 driving licence (bus, coach or lorry), you must always submit a medical certificate on driving capacity (F122).
The specialist medical certificate form (F127) is not accepted as an attachment to your driving licence permit application.
Ajovarma is Traficom's service provider. You can manage all application and permit issues related to driving licences at Ajovarma offices (External link). Ajovarma also provides the driving examination services.
Traficom's national customer service:
Customer Service Assistant
Didn’t find the information you needed? Our Customer Service Assistant will help you.